Friday, March 17, 2017

What's Next?

Good morning, afternoon or whenever you are reading this! I hope you all had a wonderful spring break as I know I did. I can't count the number of shows I caught up on over break. Alas, all things come to an end. Enter the next week and I'm already onto the next steps of my project, but, first thing's first, I had to finish all the plug-ins that I promised to cover. All that was left was WordFence security which I was saving for the end. I also managed to meet up with Mr. Vange Thursday to talk about the next steps I had in mind. 

WordFence security is self-explanatory: it enhances the security capabilities of your website. The installation was super quick and easy, but allowed for much versatility. The most important feature that I could take advantage of was scanning. The scanning feature allowed the plug-in to scan my website for any security vulnerabilities. Of course, my website did not have any problems, but with very large websites. There are so many plug-ins and themes scattered around the code that it would be very hard to keep track of with just a few people. That's why the computer scans for you. That is probably the most useful, but there are many other features. You could set up two-step verification, limit sign-ins live if you are in the middle of an attack, black-list ips, ban networks by finding the attackers exact location, and set-up a firewall. There are many other features, but these are the one's I found the coolest. Here is a picture of all attacks happening on all WordFence security networks: (These are just the ones that have been blocked)



Now, as for the future, I plan on looking at a few other plug-ins -- one or two, but don't expect that many. One that I am looking forward to is CloudFlare which is a CDN or content or cache delivery service. Basically, a system of distributed servers (networks) that deliver webpages and other web content to a user based on the geographic locations of the user, the origin of the webpage, and a content delivery system. OK, maybe not basic, but all you need to take away from that is it will act as another layer of security and means to gather more data about the website. On top of this, as we approach the end of school, I need to be thinking more end game. So, as I initially planned, I am going to create a survey that will be collecting necessary data for me to use in my research. I am not going to tell you anything about it. You will have to take it yourself. No, I require that you do. It should be ready in the next couple of weeks. After discussing what I should bring up in my survey, Mr. Vange and I just talked about cyber-security and hacking in general which helped a ton in coming up with questions for my survey.

So, this is what I have been up to this past week. Again, I hope you all had a fun and exciting spring break, and, as usual, this is Adam signing off.


24 comments:

  1. Hi Adam! Great post. I am curious, based on your own opinion, what is the purpose of people hacking others' computers? Is it almost always to gain access to important information (social security number, credit card information, etc.) or is it to be an annoyance or " internet troll"? I have often wondered why some viruses only seem to ruin a computer's ability to function.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are three main hackers: white hat, gray hat, and black hat. Here is a link describing them in some detail if you are interested: https://www.cybrary.it/0p3n/types-of-hackers/
      Every hacker has different intent, but most hackers don't plan on "hurting" you. People just think that because the news only cares about the bad hackers.

      Delete
  2. You have so much going on on your website. With all these plug-ins you seem to be getting a lot of information about what big websites have to deal with. In your opinion what is the most important plug-in for a website like facebook, or on that scale?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably a security function. With so many people, there is so much more possibility for someone to "hack" Facebook.

      Delete
  3. Hi Adam,
    I'm glad you were able to have a great, or at least it sounded like it, spring break! I thought that this week's post was especially interesting because of the WordFence security feature. Do you know what bigger websites, such as Facebook, use? Or do they use WordFence? Other than that, this looks great! Keep up the good work and good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what security they use. They probably have their own personal security team on-hand considering how big their corporation is.

      Delete
  4. Hi Adam. WordFence security sounds impressive, but out of curiosity, is there a way for hackers to get pass this or does it already account for that? Sorry if that was a stupid question. Can't wait to take your survey next week or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The actual security comes form the plug-ins you use. Word Fence allows you to monitor all of that and create lines of defense against a hacker, so they can't get to the security vulnerabilities of your plug-ins. I hope this cleared up your confusion!

      Delete
  5. Hi Adam! It's nice to see that your project is going smoothly and as originally planned. It was interesting to learn that so many attacks happen on Wordfence security networks. Also, I love your last GIF:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adam! Your project continues to amaze me every time i read your blog posts! Have you one across any problems that surprised you or you didn't expect would come up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I would have problems. I just didn't know what type of problems I would have, so I wasn't necessarily surprised by a problem because I expected to have many problems if that makes sense.

      Delete
  7. What's up Adam,
    I am surprised that the United States is not lower on your chart. Although Russia hacked almost twice as much as the United States. This information is amazing. Keep up the good work.

    Ty Holland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adam! Your project sounds awesome and really fascinating. Whats your favorite part of the project so far? Hope to read even more interesting posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite part would have to be owning a website. It's just a really cool experience!

      Delete
  9. Hey Adam. The implementation of the the process of WordFrence is interesting, as everything listed is something that is widely desired for protection and privacy. For the attackers, what do you think the major sources are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By "sources", if you mean the means of attack, it would be out-of-date plug-ins. if your plug-in is out of date, there is almost a 100% chance that you have a security problem that a potential attacker could take advantage of.

      Delete
  10. Hi Adam! All these plug-ins that you talk about seem very complicated to someone who has very little knowledge into the world of computers. Where you able to learn all of this through just Computer science class? How long does it take you to typically implement a plug-in within a program?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not need to have any CS knowledge to implement the plug-ins, but you will not be able to change it to your liking or personalize it for that matter. You have to use stuff that already exists. It usually takes about an hour getting it up and running, but it takes much longer to explore and learn all the ins and outs of the program.

      Delete
  11. Hey Adam! It's insane how many attacks there are in just one week! It's interesting that Ukraine is third when it's smaller in size and population in comparison to the other countries on the list. Just wondering, do you know why it has such a large number? Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are by no means 24,000,000 people attacking from Ukraine. A single computer can attack many times in a second -- over 100. So, yes, it is a hotspot for attacks, but not many people are required to create such large attack numbers.

      Delete
  12. Hello, good to see you had a great break, I would like to know what shows you were watching for research purposes (Obviously). But in all seriousness, This is really interesting. Knowing that there are millions of hackers in the U.S. is extremely scary and just gives us more reason to remain protected. I'm excited to see what the survey is about. Hopefully, I'll get to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete