Saturday, April 8, 2017

Networking

Hello everyone and welcome to my week 9 blog post. We are so close to the end of our blogs. I’m not sure about you, but it feels like we just started last week, but I digress.  Onto the main point of this week’s blog, it turned out to be a great opportunity for me regarding networking. I would like to give a special thanks to Cyndy Romagnolo for giving me this opportunity. Not only has it confirmed what my research has been leading towards, but also allowed me to meet some fantastic people in the field of cyber-security.



Ms. Romagnolo sent me an email after taking my survey inviting me to a meeting at Fidelity targeted at their clients that talked about personal security online. She said that my research sounded exactly like what this one person had been working on, John O’Conner, the EVP, executive vice president, of Fidelity Wealth Management.  Attached was a paper from their work and in it were some conclusions that I had also come to conclude, pretty much verbatim. I’ll attach it at the bottom of my post. You should read it. It contains a bunch of useful information that you will also find is really close to what I have been talking about. It was super reassuring when I talked to him about my research and was able to see the correlations between his and mine. Not only that, seeing him present gave me plenty of ideas for my presentation. I was super nervous going into this meeting. I had no clue how big this was going to be or how serious this meeting was. I mean me a simple high-schooler at such a big meeting. Impossible.  In addition to all of this, I managed to talk to a special guest, an ex-FBI guy named Greg who I connected with because of my NSA internship.  As you can probably tell, I gained a lot of useful insight and knowledge about my research as well as managed to do some great networking. So, again, I would like to give a special thanks to Ms. Romagnolo for inviting me to this meeting. It was super useful and I will carry with it the networking and knowledge that I gained for the rest of my career.
Now, I would also like to thank everyone for the overwhelming response I received on my surveys. Everyone who praised it in the comments thank you. I really hope it was a great survey for you to take. That is it for this week, and I look forward to my final post coming up. This is Adam Walker, signing off.

Here is the link to John's paper: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0uSQfxphinnbmxlcUVjQWtvcFE/view?usp=sharing

24 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you got to meet him. The data he collected is almost identical to your data. Nice job, keep up the good work. See you in the final week.

    Ty Holland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude that's awesome. It's really cool to see how fast these projects can impact us and help us in the future. Seems like you already have a huge head start into the field of cyber security.

    P.S. I thought that ex FBI guy's name was Gary for a second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adam. Its cool that you got to apply your project to a real world setting. I hope that this new perspective of your work will help your final results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice research. If I had to present in a formal meeting, I would be so worried! Sounds awesome that you got to talk to an ex-FBI agent. It probably helped your research a LOT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! The further research on personal security online and the results of the survey hype me for the final results. I'm looking forward to further research and the conclusion of your research.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Adam! That experience sounded amazing and it seemed like you had a great time meeting that ex-FBI agent, Greg. I can't wait to see what your final results will look like! I'm so excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Adam! It's great that you were able to meet important people in the field of cyber-security!I can't believe you and John O'Conner basically reached the same conclusions in your research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Adam! It is wonderful that you have come across so many amazing opportunities during this project! I know you said that most of the research was very similar, but was there anything that surprised you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most surprising thing was how he talked about one of his clients who was a lottery winner. He was very paranoid about security after gaining 255 million.

      Delete
  9. Hi Adam! Your experience almost sounds like a vacation, yet you are opening up future possibilities. I can't wait to read your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Adam! It's so awesome that you got a chance to be a part of the meeting and even find correlations between your and their research! It's incredible how many things you were able to accomplish in the past couple months, but which week was your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite week would be this week because the opportunity I was given.

      Delete
  11. Thank you Adam for attending our event and your kind words! All of the attendees were really impressed with seeing you there and your being so engaged. Cyber security is so interesting...great idea for your project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Adam! I cannot fathom how wonderful it is to be able to attend this meeting and it having correlations with your research. Great post!

    ReplyDelete