Friday, February 24, 2017

My Website

Hi, everyone! I hope you have had another wonderful week. This past week I focused on the plug-in BuddyPress and started working with another plug-in called JetPack. BuddyPress has great chemistry with OneAll because BuddyPress allows people to register under an account on your website and interact with others much like any other social media website. JetPack is a WordPress extension from WordPress.com itself. It allows people to subscribe, share and many other basic functions that may come with a blogging site or any website for that matter. 



To go into more detail on BuddyPress and relate it back to my research, it has allowed me to control information people must enter when registering for an account. For example, generally when you create an account on any website, you have to enter the basic information: your name and email, gender and age, maybe a description of yourself for your bio. These are all things I can control with BuddyPress. Once a person has registered their account and activated it, they are allowed to, like most other social media websites (this is the basic idea behind BuddyPress), interact with others. You can friend them, update your social status, post to a wall which can be liked, shared with others, and commented on, private message others, and much more. I think it is a really unique plug-in. I will be sharing the link to my website, so you people can go play around with it. It's not a perfect website, so there are many things that need work, but that's not important to me. Some buttons don't do anything and I don't need them to -- they are more just decoration. Just have fun exploring: My Website



As for JetPack, I have only just recently started implementing it. As you read in the beginning, that is what it does. I am not all up to date on what it does because I am still learning about it. Relating it back to my research, I know that it will allow for improved analytics and sharing with social media that could possibly be attacked -- I am not saying it will be attacked. It is very unlikely. I will be able to share more about this plug-in next week.

So, now I will give you a few tips when navigating my website site. When you first register and enter in the required information, you will be asked to activate the account. An email will be sent to your email address where you click on the link and activate it much like any other. It will probably be in your Spam, so make sure to check there. Another rule of thumb, some buttons don't work and the website may change on you. That just means i'm working on it. Other than that, go crazy, explore, give feedback. I will obviously be on my website from time to time, so if you want to talk to me, just message me there if you can find which account I am on. I have a lot. 

This is pretty exciting for me. Being able to run this website with people on it provides a cool feeling that I can't quite describe. I hope you like the website and I will be looking forward to seeing you on it. I hope you have a fun and exciting weekend. Signing off, Adam.


22 comments:

  1. Hi Adam. It's cool to hear that you got your website to work, and just to clarify, is JetPack designed to test the security of a website? Also, is the purpose of your website to see how much a user's information you can access?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JetPack does do that. To be more specific, it allows my website to take advantage of some features that the WordPress developers have created such as sharing pages on social media. The purpose of my website is to put myself in the shoes of someone who runs a website to be able to see how much information they can gather on a single person. Hope that answers your question.

      Delete
  2. Hey Adam. The design for your website is sleek; however, I was able to completely dodge the "address" section of sign-up by using a string of "^_", although I do not know whether this is a wordpress feature or one of your website. After another round of messing with create an account, I noticed that password length did not matter, along with me being able to enter anything as my email as long as it ended with an @ and another (few) character(s) followed by .com/.org, etc.. I am looking forward to more progress on this project and the website itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the address part, I made it not required. In the future, I planned to moderate who registered for my website, so if you put a string of "^_", I would be able to delete your account. I did not put a limit on the password length because I felt it not necessary. As for the email, that is good to know. I did not know that and will look into it as soon as possible. I really appreciate your feedback! Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. Hello Adam. Its cool to see your new website. I found out that majority of the buttons are, in fact, useless. Woops. I will be waiting to see what you will do with the new plug-ins/websites. See you again next week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zak! I look forward to reading your comment again next week.

      Delete
  4. Hi Adam, I checked out your website as well and it was pretty cool, and I plan on making an account later tonight. I really enjoyed reading your current research at JetPack and Wordpress. Um, the thing that I am unclear about is the "Possible Hackers" number on this page. I guess my questions are what does it mean, and how do you figure that out. Other than that, I can't wait for next weeks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zachary! The "Possible Hackers" button is just the title I put for a page view counter. I think it is very fitting.

      Delete
  5. Hi Adam! It would be interesting to be attacked as it would definitely show the issues with social media. It does sound like you are having a lot of fun and I hope you continue to do so. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy Adam, it is so creepy the information you are getting. I am glad that your website is up and working. Are any of us safe? See you next week.

    Ty Holland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ty! I don't know... Do you feel safe? If yes, then yes you are safe! Most of the time, if you think something is wrong, you are generally right.

      Delete
  7. Hi Adam! Your new website seems very impressive. I can't wait to see what you learn from the information you get from the website.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Adam! I really like the design of your website and I think that its really cool having your own website.I am looking forward to see what you come up with next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joshua. I look forward to your thoughts next week!

      Delete
  9. It feels pretty cool to be able to be a part of you project outside of the blogs, I am really excited to see all the ways I can join in. Do you have any ideas on other features you might add in, maybe to simulate other popular websites other than social media ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. As of right now, I am planning to make an ecommerce website. So basically anywhere you see online shopping. I think that's important considering you're dealing with money!

      Delete
  10. Hey Adam! Your website has a great look to it and seems very professional! It's exciting that we get to see your project more through this website. I'm looking forward to exploring it in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Adam! I love the dog gif! What plug-ins are you planning on using in the future of the project to use on your site?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are two more that I plan to look into. They are Woo-Commerce which transforms my website into an eCommerce site and WordFence security which deals with firewalls and malware scanning!

      Delete